Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Security Trap

I was working on a staging server today and wanted to create a new User Profile Service Application when I got stumped by a silly security issue.  I didn't have permissions to create any new Service Applications. Strangely though, I am a SharePoint farm administrator as well as a local admin on the web server I was using. So why did I see this?


It took me a few minutes to realize that I had opened the browser and entered the url of the central admin by hand, instead of using the shortcut to Central Admin in the start menu. This is not a problem, except that I had not chosen to run IE as an administrator, and so I didn't have the necessary rights to create the Service Application. Once I opened up another instance of IE using the 'Run As Administrator' option, all was well again. So if you are in the habit of not using the start menu shortcut to Central Admin, remember that running IE as a regular user will not work!

No comments: