We also used an image management solution on this project that EPiServer recommends, and this was not much fun to work with. The product in question is called ImageVault and it is not even close to production quality software. We have had so many problems with this that it would have been easier to just build something like it form scratch. As an example, here is what I fixed today:
ImageVault has a UrlBuilder class that helps get the url of the image from storage. This helper allows us to specify an aspect ratio amongst other things and that is done by setting a decimal property. So I would for instance set the aspect ratio to 1.5. The url would then come back with something like : ...&aspect=1.5&.... in the query string. Now the fun comes when the site is running in a language such as Dutch where the decimal separator is a comma. In that case, the url that comes back is ...&aspect=1%2c5&... Basically the developers never tested this in such an environment and inside their UrlBuilder class they simply do a ToString without setting an invariant culture. The result is then that the URL that points to THEIR web service doesn't produce an image since the aspect ratio is incorrect.
This is not a difficult bug to fix, but a product that is supposed to be at version 3.3 should NOT have bugs like this.
I hope the ImageVault guys get their product polished up since it has potential and they have a good opportunity to be the solution of choice for image management within EPiServer. They will need to do this quickly though because they can truly lose a lot of business with the way their product works right now.