Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Working on MAC

I have been working on my Macbook Pro for a few weeks now and have to say I have been quite happy with it. The hardware is great and I have found OS X to have everything I need for my daily tasks. I do miss having Visual Studio and MS Office on my local machine, but I have a virtual machine using Parallels that I use for this software. Parallels has been working quite well, I just can't get the automatic snapshot thing to work. It took an automatic snapshot once, and since then has been ignoring the schedule I gave it.

The only downside that I have found on the Mac compared to my Thinkpad is that the Macbook is not as tough. I have unintentionally put both of them through the same drop test and the Thinkpad fared much better. Both times I dropped the machine in question a half meter onto the floor. The Thinkpad had a little cosmetic damage on the battery, which can be replaced quite inexpensively. The Macbook has a nasty dent on the bottom right corner, and I don't think I will be trying to hammer it out anytime soon. I have yet to talk to Apple to see what the repair would cost but I have a feeling replacing the unibody will not be so cheap. Luckily both machines work just fine, which is more than I would expect from many other notebooks if I put them through this test. I guess I have now "personalized" my Macbook and will have to live with the dent. I do feel like a tool for doing this to my computer right after I bought it. I just hope my warranty will still be valid.

No comments: