Sunday, April 06, 2008

Been lazy but here's an update

Yes i haven't blogged about anything in a long time, no reason for that other than laziness. I decided it was time for an update.

I passed my final exam for the motorcycle license! I pick up the license next week and I can go buy a motorbike. I don't know which one yet since I have to go test ride them, but I have a few in mind. I like the Yamaha Fazer, the Honda CBF600 and the new Honda Trans Alp. These choices are based purely on looks/price/reviews so they are likely to change once I ride them. The CBF is very close to the motorbike I did my lessons on so I know what that rides like.

As of a few weeks ago, Melissa has officially moved in with me. I say officially since she has been living here more than at her old place for quite some time now. I just convinced her that it would save both of us travel time if she brought her stuff. :) So far so good.

I still don't have the damn couch I ordered, I am going to pseudo-court with the company sometime soon. It's going to be great fun.

I haven't worked (for money that is) since the end of January so it was time to get back to that. I had some work to do in the apartment still which is done now so I can return to making money. I had a very sweet offer from a bank in Amsterdam but they contacted me a few days after the offer and canceled it due to budget freezes from upper management. Kind of a dumb move on their part from what I can see, but I don't know the whole story. Let's just say I have exactly the experience they need and I will be very surprised if they find someone else in Holland who has done this work before. I'm guessing they wake up 3 months before the project has to be done and I'll get a phone call. I can't wait that long though so I took another offer that is close to the Hague. It's a bit of travel but I don't mind since I usually wake up with Mel anyway. We'll be on the same train in the morning as a matter of fact, I just go a few stops farther. The work should be interesting, it's a MOSS developer job and I am kind of looking forward to writing some code again. I have been doing a lot of coaching and mentoring in my last job and I only wrote a few small (but damn cool) bits of functionality.

I am seriously considering doing an MBA. I went to an information night regarding the MBA offered by the Amsterdam Business school and I think it would be a good thing to add to the resume. I am happy doing the work I do now, but I don't think I'll be able to keep up with the technology for that much longer. I know myself and my interests don't lie in reading documentation about the new stuff coming out of Redmond. I do like the coaching / mentoring that I do on a project and I also like being the decision maker on a project. I think an MBA would let me get the formal education I need so that I can keep consulting but on a different level. I always thought the MBA was only good for corporate culture but I think I was wrong there. I can still keep my freedom and make use of the MBA. It seems that companies are not adverse to having external managers come in for a project. Most of all though - I need to spend some money in a way that can be written off. I hate paying taxes. :)

For those who read this but don't know yet, I'll be in the Toronto are for May long weekend. I'm going to a wedding in Michigan with Mel and flying in/out of Toronto turned out to be better than Detroit.

No comments: