Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Preparing for war with Lenovo customer support

Yesterday my Thinkpad T43p started to act up. The display looked like someone gave the videocard a bad calculator. Nothing seemed to be missing from the screen, but things were certainly not in the right places. It had done this a little bit once before, but a re-boot fixed it. This time however, I did a number of re-boots and still same or worse. I realized it's not a driver issue when I pulled the hard drive out and saw that the very first splash screen was all screwed up. 'Pixels on vacation' is what I'd call it if it were art. The shitty thing is that I don't know how to reproduce the error. I have tried this morning but can't get the thing to screw up. I can just see what will happen if I send it off to cusstomer support: "Sir, there is nothing wrong with this PC." Still, I need my laptop to be reliable and so I am preparing my strategy for a drawn out cold war with the customer support guys at Lenovo. I am hoping they are as nice as Dell, but I expect this is not the case. This is their chance to prove me wrong.

2 comments:

Mark @ Lenovo said...

Joe,

My name is Mark, and I work in Customer Satisfaction for Lenovo. I'm sorry to hear of your T43 troubles. Our service and support teams (through IBM) really do a pretty good job and I hope that you will give them the benefit of the doubt. It sounds like you have done some preliminary diagnosis, and I can't imagine you having any difficulty getting the parts replaced through the depot, or onsite support, if you have upgraded to that. In any event, if things don't go smoothly, please email me at Markah@us.lenovo.com

Joe said...

Thanks for the comment, see my new blog post.